Thursday

How'd he do that?

The number one question I get from people is, “How do you become a PI?”

Alrighty then. Let’s chat.

PI’s aren’t like the other kids. Remember the old Electric Company song?

“One of these kids is doing his own thing…”

Or was that Sesame Street?

Who cares. The point is, as a Private Investigator, you move in an entirely different realm than the average cat.

By the time most people are slapping the snooze bar, you’ve already been at work for an hour.

While everyone else is in the bar to have a few drinks and unwind, you have a concealed camera strapped to you watching Johnny Adulterer ply his paramour with wine. (Want a concealed camera? Check out this site)

Some days you’ll drive fast and punch red lights trying to keep up with the person you’re tailing.

Some days you’re in a three piece suit testifying in court, others you’re in a tank top and gym shorts sweating it out in the back of a surveillance van.

You’ll drive more than most truckers, and fly more than some airline pilots.

You’re able to come up with a cover story for any situation off the top of your head.

You’re vehicle is your rolling office/restaurant/hotel/second home. You spend more time there than anywhere else.

Get it? It’s not for everyone. I’ve seen guys come in for training gung ho as a boot camp Marine. A week later they’ve quit.

The can’t take the solitude. Or the travel. Or the weird hours. Or any of it.

Some folks just aren’t cut out for it.

But some are. I personally believe being a PI is the greatest job in the world. The money is good. There are no specific training or educational requirements. Heck, I drug through night school finishing my Bachelor’s Degree, and make the same or less than some guys with GED’s.

Why?

Because there is no degree in street smarts. It only comes with time and experience.

So don’t be fooled by PI training courses you see on the web. No one in the industry cares about them.

If you want some free training, I have a buddy who puts out a newsletter on being a PI. He’s at http://www.youcanbeapi.com/. He’ll tell you everything you need to know.

So what do you think? Wanna be a part of our deviant subculture?

Operators are standing by…

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank god you updated...

Re: ost..I agree, I think the P.I job is the best and colest in the whole world... Real fun...

So am I right in saying a P.I's eyes are always at work? Lol...

I'll check that link out which you provided in your post, and who knows one day I might become a P.I...

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By thw way Ive a question for you...Did you train to be a O.I or did you learn all about it online?

And do share more of your interesting stories with us...

1:09 PM  
Blogger Johnny Undercover said...

I started out as a PI working for the investigative unit of a large insurance company. But don't let that discourage you. Most PI's that don't come from law enforcement or insurance just start from scratch. Probably 85-90% of them start out that way...no previous experince at all.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Johnny Undercover said...

Also, let me say a word about training. There seems to be a perception that you can "train" to be a PI somewhere, then go out and get a job. This is somewhat...no, VERY...misleading.

You see, most large (and reputable) PI companies are going to train you themselves. I've worked for most of the nationwide PI firms in the US, and every single one of them had their own training they provided. So paying for actaul PI training is somewhat of a waste, beacuse you're only going to duplicate the effort down the road. The difference is they'll be paying you to train, not vice-versa.

The secret is knowing what PI recruiters want to see on a resume before bringing you in for an interview. Check out my buddy's newsletter at youcanbeapi.com. You'll learn a lot more there than in any PI traininig course.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see, thanks. Ive subscribed to your buddy's newsletter.

Ok one more question. Hope you dont mind. Example...If I want to be a P.I, I go to a company without no training whatsoever, then they train me...Is that right?

And please post more...

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Private Investigator Austin said...

I have 7 investigators working for me - none of which went through formal Private investigator training. I'm most interested in if the person can work a camera or has special skills such as working with computers. Just as important, I look for attitude and if the person is inspired to work in this field. I specialize in divorce and domestic relations so I tend to shy away from ex-police officers. Personally, I like the social worker types who may have a little criminal justice experience - maybe in probation or parole who have degrees in social work or psychology. I find that this approach works well for me.

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

--> 

My Ecosystem Details